f Phototrophic oxidation of ferrous iron by a Rhodomicrobium vannielii strain
- Authors: Silke Heising, Bernhard Schink*
- *Author for correspondence: Bernhard Schink. Tel: +49 7531 882140. Fax: +49 7531 882966. e-mail: Bernhard.Schink@uni-konstanz.de
- Microbiology, August 1998 144: 2263-2269, doi: 10.1099/00221287-144-8-2263
- Subject: Pathogenicity And Medical Microbiology
- Published Online:
Oxidation of ferrous iron was studied with the anaerobic phototrophic bacterial strain BS-1. Based on morphology, substrate utilization patterns, arrangement of intracytoplasmic membranes and the in vivo absorption spectrum, this strain was assigned to the known species Rhodomicrobium vannielii. Also, the type strain of this species oxidized ferrous iron in the light. Phototrophic growth of strain BS-1 with ferrous iron as electron donor was stimulated by the presence of acetate or succinate as cosubstrates. The ferric iron hydroxides produced precipitated on the cell surfaces as solid crusts which impeded further iron oxidation after two to three generations. The complexing agent nitrilotriacetate stimulated iron oxidation but the yield of cell mass did not increase stoichiometrically under these conditions. Other complexing agents inhibited cell growth. Ferric iron was not reduced in the dark, and manganese salts were neither oxidized nor reduced. It is concluded that ferrous iron oxidation by strain BS-1 is only a side activity of this bacterium that cannot support growth exclusively with this electron source over prolonged periods of time.
- Keyword(s): iron metabolism, iron complexation, Rhodomicrobium vannielii, nitrilotriacetate (NTA), phototrophic bacteria
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/micro/10.1099/00221287-144-8-2263dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/micro AND -contentType:BlogPost64
/content/journal/micro/10.1099/00221287-144-8-2263dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/micro AND -contentType:BlogPost64
Figure data loading....